Pastel is a wondrous medium that offers up the best of drawing and painting! It's a forgiving media with which you can achieve quick and satisfying results. The instructor will guide you through each day's composition introducing various techniques that will get you comfortable with using the materials and gain confidence to attempt work that you might have otherwise been timid about.
In this 3-day workshop, class participants will be introduced to the beauty of soft/chalk pastel.
- Great for newcomers to pastels.
- Learn the fundamentals of using pastels.
- Focus will be on landscape as a subject.
- Each class will build on the last.
- Inspiration will come from various sources.
Dates: Monday Mornings - February 5 to 26, 2018 (No Class February 19)
Time: 10:00am - 1:00pm
Price: $105 for non-members, $80 with a membership
Skill Level: Beginners
Registration Deadline: Monday January 22, 2018
What Students will Learn
- Paint with more confidence
- Move beyond your reference
- How to see value and color
- Create dynamic compositions
- Know when to stop
- Protecting, preserving and framing your pastel painting
About the Instructor
Filomena Kandola studied art formally from 1993 to 2000 at the Ontario College of Art & Design University in Toronto, Ontario. Over the years during her artistic career, Filomena explored the many traditional artistic media to express her creativity, including: acrylic paint, chalk, charcoal, coloured pencil, conté, oil paint, pastel, pen and ink, pencil and mixed media. Today, Filomena enjoys painting exclusively in oil paint on canvas. Her subject matter is most often the landscapes and the smaller spaces that surround her where she lives in the City of Vaughan, Ontario. In numerous venues across Toronto and the GTA, Filomena has shown her artwork, whether independently or in collaboration with other like-minded artists. She hopes to continue sharing her artwork and love for art in this manner and through teaching in the years to come.
Students are asked to purchase the following materials:
- Three 9" x 12" pastel paper pages in assorted colours (no white or black), Canson brand
- A box of assorted soft/chalk pastels with a variety of colours
- A pencil and eraser
- Parchment peper
- An optional frame with beveled matting (9" x 12")
Advanced registration is required for workshops. Registration closes Monday January 22, 2018.
For assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Register Online with PayPal
PayPal is an easy and secure way to pay online with your credit card. A PayPal account is not required.