Help your child develop their creativity, confidence, and social skills in our inclusive studio setting. We encourage creative learners from any skill level to join our classes.
Developed and approved by our team of Ontario Certified Teachers, our visual arts curriculum is designed to enhance the art classes your child is already taking in school - we take your child’s creative learning to a whole new level!
Enroll your child in our weekly classes and they will learn a vast variety of art making techniques in various medium. Your child will be taught techniques in the monthly subject focus and produce a final project culminating all their learning for the month. We emphasize the importance of progress and growth in our classes - the artistic journey is just as important as the finished product.
Our visual arts curriculum and visual art projects change every year, so no two years are the same!
Many of our students use their experience from our classes to pursue further arts education at art specializing high schools, such as Mayfield Secondary School, Cawthra Park Secondary School, or St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School. We take great pride in the accomplishments of our students.
Fall classes begin on Saturday September 9, 2017.
Register now to take advantage of our early bird special pricing. These prices will expire on September 10, 2017.
Ages: 9-12 Years
Weekly Class Times:
- Sunday Afternoon - 2:00pm - 4:00pm
- Wednesday Evening - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday Evening - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Saturday Morning - 9:30am - 11:30am
- Saturday Afternoon - 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Price & Session Options:
- Full Year - September to August - $625 $450 Early Bird Special
- School Year - September to June - $500 $400 Early Bird Special
- Fall/Winter - September to February - $250
- Trial classes are available for $15 each, up to a maximum of two trial classes per student.
Registrations are accepted year-round and prorated pricing is available. A sibling discount of 10% is available for each additional child registered.
What Students will Learn
- Drawing Basics (shading realistically with light, shadow, shapes)
- How to Draw Using Pencil, Coloured Pencil, Oil Pastel
- Plaster Sculpture
- Scratchboard (and drawing using positive and negative space)
- Watercolour Painting (brushes, paint techniques)
- Acyrlic Painting (brushes, paint techniques)
- Landscape Drawing (bushes, trees, flowers, sky, clouds, organizing a nice drawing)
- Perspective and Architecture (one-point, two-point, three-point, infinite-point)
- Drawing People (portraiture, proportions)
- Colour Theory (colour relationships, mixing, shading, tinting)
- Drawing Creatures (animals, insects)
- Abstract Art (what is 'good' abstract art and how to do it)
- Print Making (making designs using geometry and symmetry)
- Mixed Media
- Art History (gathering inspiration from the style of famous artists)
About the InstructorS
Colleen Dee, B.F.A.
Originally from Montreal, Colleen Dee is a BFA graduate in Fine Arts and Design where she spent 20 years in the Marketing and Advertising industry as an international Graphic Designer. In her more recent years, she has taught Art & Crafts these last 7 years to children and adults in Vietnam, Cambodia and Canada. Lately she has put aside her commercial skills to focus on her fine art roots. "I love creative expression in so many art forms and have always enjoyed working with different materials and mediums. I'm very active in the artisan arena with my many interests: paper mache, paper art, printmaking, sculpting and photo art as well as giving workshops. I enjoy giving talks about my international teaching experiences working with children and adults".
Maria M. Maka
Maria is a visual artist, currently pursuing both a Bachelor of Fine Arts and certificate in Digital Media in the Visual Arts program at York University. She has created various artistic compositions using a wide variety of techniques such as painting, drawing, printmaking, and sculpture. Maria's teaching experience includes peer tutoring coursework and certification, as well as working as an English and social studies tutor in Brampton. Additionally, she plans to obtain her BEd at York after graduating, in order to become an Ontario Certified Teacher. In her free time, Maria likes to try out new art mediums, work on commissioned projects, and better herself in the field of digital media. Her portfolio can be viewed at: http://mmmaka.wixsite.com/mariamaka
Seema Marwah, B.A., B.Ed., M.A., OCT
Seema is an India based Visual Arts teacher having taught children of all ages for more than 20 years. She completed her masters in Visual Arts and masters in English from CCS University, India. Her forte is oil painting, watercolours and clay modelling. Seema believes art brings out her true self and she is extremely passionate about her paintings. She has been awarded as the "Best Teacher" for three consecutive years at Sophia Girls’ School, India. Currently, Seema is working on establishing an event management company of her own and works as a freelance painter.
We ask that students supply their own sketchbooks and drawing pencils. Any other materials required for the class will be provided.
Students must be enrolled into the proper age group. To enroll multiple students, add each student to the shopping cart separately. Sibling discounts for online registrations will be applied as a rebate after the transaction is complete.
For assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Register Online with PayPal
PayPal is an easy and secure way to pay online with your credit card. A PayPal account is not required.
Art FUNdamentals for Ages 9-12