Instructions: Complete works of art within 10 of the categories below. The art you submit should showcase your best work. It is ideal to show your imagination, risk-taking, technical skill and a variety of mediums if possible (pencil crayon, pastel, paint, marker, 3D, mixed media, etc).
Due Date: All work must be ready and submitted to your instructor by Sunday, June 3, 2018. Ensure works are labelled with the category, your name and age before submitting to your instructor. Everyone is invited to the awards ceremony held on the last day of classes in June.
- A work in colour, any medium, themed "This Is Me"
- Your sketchbook, and any additional art pieces (in any medium including sculpture, mixed media, sewing, etc) you are proud of that you've done on your own or in class
- A minimum of 10 art pieces from the categories below.
Categories: Choose a minimum of 10 to draw in the medium of your choice.
- Portrait of a person expressing an extreme emotion (laugh, cry, scream, etc.)
- Your favourite animal using patterns and/or word art
- Corner of a room including furniture
- An object made of shiny metal
- A still life of food, in the style of your favourite artist (include artist's name on the back)
- Outdoor clothing (jacket, gloves, boots, etc.)
- Mode of transportation
- Complete the story line and illustrate it using 1 - 3 drawings. Include your story on the back.
"He (or she) opened the door and was __[emotion]__ to find ___[noun]___."
Example: "She opened the door and was sad to find the broken bicycle"
- Three differently shaped product containers (soap bottles, toothpaste, milk carton, etc.)
- Glass container with objects in it
- Holiday items (any holiday, not limited to winter holidays)
- Animal hybrid (3 or more animals combined into one)
- Tools (hammer, nails, screw, wrench, pliers, rope, etc)
- Landscape or cityscape with at least one building, using the Rule of Thirds composition.
Why complete the assignments?
- Practice and apply the lessons taught in class
- Push your imagination and creativity; practice drawing things you wouldn’t usually draw and become a better artist
- These assignments are great additions to your portfolio
- The VAB achievement award is recognized by high school and post-secondary art programs
- At the year-end awards ceremony, you will receive recognition for your achievements and growth demonstrated in your portfolio