This workshop series provides students applying to prospective art high schools (Mayfield Secondary School, Cawthra Park Secondary School, St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary School) or post-secondary (York University, OCAD, Sheridan College, Humber College etc.) visual art programs a chance to have bi-weekly check-ins with a qualified teacher in the field. The individual consultation during each session is designed to help students stay on track and ensure their visual arts portfolio showcases their best work.
Paulina is skillful with helping students fine tune their work. A graduate of Mayfield Secondary School’s Regional Arts Program, Paulina shares her high school experience with students in this workshop and answers any questions parents may have about specialized art high schools. Paulina currently works at an independent high school in Toronto where she helps her students prepare portfolios to post-secondary schools. Her graduated students have been accepted into OCAD’s interior design program, York University’s fine arts program, Carleton University for architecture, and Seneca and Emily Carr University.
Please note taking this workshop will improve your portfolio but we cannot guarantee admission to art programs.
Students are encouraged to continue on to the companion workshop Portfolio Presentation & Interview.
This workshop will run again in fall 2018. Please check back for further information.
What Students will Learn
Sessions will include:
- Session 1 - Introductions, review of student work, general strengths, specific areas of improvement, goal setting.
- Session 2-6 - Each session will begin with one-on-one individual consultation. Instructor will provide constructive feedback on completed and in-progress work. Student will have studio time to work on independent projects, have personalized lessons, and receive feedback as needed. Instructor will advise the student of next steps and they will have 2 weeks to complete art work on their own time before the next session.
About the Instructors
Paulina Su, OCT
Paulina Su is a practicing Toronto-based artist and Ontario Certified Teacher at the high school level. A jack of all trades, she is a versatile artist that enjoys working in all mediums, ranging from painting and sculpture, to printmaking and scratchboard. She holds a Bachelors of Fine Arts and a Bachelors of Education from York University. She started at Visual Arts Brampton as a student when she was 8 years old and is now a current board member. Her work has been exhibited in galleries across the GTA. www.paulinasu.com
Students are asked to bring:
- The application checklist from the school(s) the student is applying to
- Sketchbooks (old and new)
- Completed artwork (personal and from school)
- Artworks in progress
- Pencils, eraser, sharpener.
Registration for this workshop has now closed. Please check back for future dates.