At first glace oil pastels may look like higher quality crayons, but don’t be fooled by that. First created by Senneller as a special medium for Picaso, oil pastel have grown in popularity and some excellent artwork is being created daily with them. The goal of this workshop is to teach you all the techniques that Zan has learned and created to use oil pastels.
Details & Registration
In-Person / Online Class
- In-Person - Friday - November 18 to December 9, 2022
- Online - Friday - November 18 to December 9, 2022
Time: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Price: $135 non-members, $117 with a membership
Materials: Included for in-person students - See Materials List
Skill Level: All Skill Levels
Note: This class is offered with your choice of in-person or online instruction. Instruction will be provided in-person and online simultaneously.
What Students will Learn
- Building Depth
- Colour Mixing
- Creating hard and soft edges
- And many other topics will be explored
About Zan Barrage
A classically trained artist, Zan is the recipient of several awards for plein air painting in Ontario. He is the founder and past president of Ontario Plein Air Society, a group of Ontario painters dedicated to painting the Canadian landscape from life.
I paint because I fall in love with a moment. Sometimes I capture it successfully, and other times, too many times, I fail. I am proud to say that my artwork has seeped into private collections from Australia through Europe to North America. I cherish all my collectors and value their choice to own my artwork. In a way, a work of art is not whole.
We ask that students have:
- Starter Set of Oil Pastels - Mungyo Artists’ Oil Pastel Set of 36 (Avoid Fluorescent Packs or Colours)
- Small Bottle of Galkyd Oil Medium - Gamblin Galkyd Lite Oil Medium 8oz
- Small Bottle of Mineral Spirits - Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits
- Pocket Knife of Small Knife (Not a cutter)
- Palette Knife - Palette Knife 1 1/4 x 3/8 in.
- Blending Stumps - 10-Pack Assorted Blending Stumps
- Sandpaper - Ultra Fine 600 Grit 5-Pack (Available at Hardware Stores)