Experience the glorious lavender field in the luxurious medium soft pastel! Violet, pink and purple hues contrasted against electric greens and a warm sunset will be the backdrop for this "Hot Sun on Lavender Fields" original by the instructor.
Participants will be taught effective techniques to encourage creating movement in their paintings. Participants will learn how to use soft pastels through techniques such as layering, blending and creating texture, as well as the use of varied palettes in landscape studies.
This workshop is open to all levels, from novice to intermediate. First timers are also welcome. Materials are included for in-person students, or bring your own.
Details & Registration
In-Person / Online Class
- In-Person - Monday - October 17, 2022
- Online - Monday - October 17, 2022
Time: 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Price: $35 per person
Materials: Included for in-person students - See Materials List
Skill Level: Beginner
Note: This class is offered with your choice of in-person or online instruction. Instruction will be provided in-person and online simultaneously.
What Students will Learn
- Use soft pastels with more confidence
- Move beyond your reference
- How to see value and color
- Create dynamic compositions
- Know when to stop
About the Instructor
Filomena Kandola studied art formally from 1993 to 2000 at the Ontario College of Art & Design University in Toronto, Ontario. Over the years during her artistic career, Filomena explored the many traditional artistic media to express her creativity, including: acrylic paint, chalk, charcoal, coloured pencil, conté, oil paint, pastel, pen and ink, pencil and mixed media. Today, Filomena enjoys painting exclusively in oils and soft pastels. Her subject matter is most often the landscapes and the smaller spaces that surround her where she lives in the City of Vaughan, Ontario. In numerous venues across Toronto and the GTA, Filomena has shown her artwork, whether independently or in collaboration with other like-minded artists. She hopes to continue sharing her artwork and love for art in this manner and through teaching in the years to come.
Materials are included for in-person students. Students attending online or who prefer to bring their own materials are asked to purchase the following:
- Mungyo Soft Pastel 64 Pack - Recommended by Instructor - Purchase on Amazon
- Canson Mi Teintes brand pastel paper, 9"x12", earth tones OR assorted colours - Purchase on Amazon
- A pencil and eraser
- Optional: Value Sketching Bundle - Purchase on Amazon
- Optional: Conté Sticks - Purchase on Amazon
- Optional: White Charcoal Pencil - Purchase on Amazon
- Optional: Black Charcoal Pencil - Purchase on Amazon