In this four-session workshop, you will learn how to paint bleeding sunsets in all their glory in the luxuriously rich medium, oil paint! Like the oil painting masters, you will learn techniques such as scumbling, alla prima, and how to utilize value sketches and under paintings for a better composition.
Available as a four-session workshop or individual classes.
This workshop is open to all levels, from novice to intermediate. First timers are also welcome.
Details & Registration
Date: Monday Evenings - May 31 to June 21, 2021
Time: 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- All Four Sessions: $120 for non-members, $108 with a membership
- Individual Sessions: $30 for non-member, $27 with a membership
Materials: Additional Purchase Required - See Materials List
Skill Level: Beginners
Special Note: This workshop is online. Students will need access to a computer, laptop, smartphone or tablet and have downloaded the Zoom app before class begins.
What Students will Learn
- How to oil paints with more confidence
- Practice different oil painting techniques
- How to utilize sketches and under paintings
- How to see value and color
About the Instructor
Filomena Kandola studied art formally from 1993 to 2000 at the Ontario College of Art & Design University in Toronto, Ontario. Over the years during her artistic career, Filomena explored the many traditional artistic media to express her creativity, including: acrylic paint, chalk, charcoal, coloured pencil, conté, oil paint, pastel, pen and ink, pencil and mixed media. Today, Filomena enjoys painting exclusively in oils and soft pastels. Her subject matter is most often the landscapes and the smaller spaces that surround her where she lives in the City of Vaughan, Ontario. In numerous venues across Toronto and the GTA, Filomena has shown her artwork, whether independently or in collaboration with other like-minded artists. She hopes to continue sharing her artwork and love for art in this manner and through teaching in the years to come.
Students are asked to purchase the following materials:
- Oil Paint - One tube each of:
- Titanium White
- French Ultramarine Blue
- Cadmium Red
- Cadmium Yellow
- Olive Green
- Recommended brands: Winsor Newton; Williamsburg
- Surfaces - Four gessoed canvas panels/stretched canvases in any of the following sizes:
- Paint Brushes - Three paint brushes
- Large (width of thumb) filbert
- Medium (width of index finger) angle
- Small (width of pinky finger) flat
- OPTIONAL: Very small, rigger
- Easel (optional)
- Palette paper
- Cheap olive oil / any thinner/ solvent of choice
- Old rag and/or paper towels
- Three cups/small jars