This workshop series provides students applying to prospective art high schools (Mayfield Secondary School, Cawthra Park Secondary School, St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary School) or post-secondary (York University, OCAD, Sheridan College, Humber College etc.) visual art programs a chance to have weekly check-ins and portfolio assessments with a qualified teacher in the field. The individual consultation during each session is designed to help students stay on track and ensure their visual arts portfolio showcases their best work.
Students are not required to register for both sessions, but are welcome to do so if extra practice time or guidance is needed. Please note taking this workshop will improve your portfolio but we cannot guarantee admission to art programs.
Students are encouraged to continue on to the companion workshop Portfolio Presentation & Interview.
Dates: Saturday Evenings - September 28 to November 2, 2019
Time: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Registration Deadline: Saturday September 21, 2019
Dates: Saturday Evenings - November 9 to December 14, 2019
Time: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Registration Deadline: Saturday November 2, 2019
What Students will Learn
Sessions will include:
- Session 1 - Introductions, review of student work, general strengths, specific areas of improvement, goal setting.
- Session 2-6 - Each session will begin with one-on-one individual consultation. Instructor will provide constructive feedback on completed and in-progress work. Student will have studio time to work on independent projects, have personalized lessons, and receive feedback as needed. Instructor will advise the student of next steps and they will have 2 weeks to complete art work on their own time before the next session.
About the Instructors
Paul Paradiso, B.A., B.Ed., OCT
Paul studied at OCADU and worked as a professional graphic designer and illustrator for several years. He also worked in the publishing and printing industries prior to becoming a teacher in 2007. He has taught Visual Arts to all grades as well as adults. Paul currently teaches in the Peel District School Board.
Students are asked to bring:
- The application checklist from the school(s) the student is applying to
- Sketchbooks (old and new)
- Completed artwork (personal and from school)
- Artworks in progress
- Pencils, eraser, sharpener.
Advanced registration is recommended for workshops.
For assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Register Online with PayPal
PayPal is an easy and secure way to pay online with your credit card. A PayPal account is not required.
Portfolio Preparation Workshop - $140